Sunday, August 28, 2011

First Week of First Grade!

We made it through the first week together! Here is a little recap of our week {insert some A LOT of routines, expectations & procedures amidst our days too!} :)

Here is our results from our survey of how many boys and girls we have in our class. First, they made "kid pins" taken from the Investigations Math series. The students decorated index cards with their names in the center. They have magnetic tape on the back of them, so we can use them on the whiteboard and on trays during center time.
taken with my ipod! You get the just of it!

During our community building time, we did many name games and we also did a "Find someone who..." sheet! Check it out! The kids loved it & got to know each other too.  Simple. Love.

Here is our first shared reading book: I Went Walking. It is very repetitive and we focused on:
  • concepts of print
  • color words (we did a scavenger hunt before reading!) The kids got into groups and each got a color word. They had to find 2 things around the room that was that color. These were colors that were included in the book
  • Asking sentences vs. telling sentences (question mark vs. period)
 Before reading we made a chart of places we could walk to and made a list of 3 things we could see at those places. I wish I had some nice font-type handwriting like some of those blogging teachers out there! But, I don't... so this will have to do! :)
 The lights were off this week, due to NO AIR in our room! ick!

 That's a little snippet of our first week together as Firsties! It's going to be a great year- I just know it! And last, but not least- here was a great way to end my week! A little gift from one of my First Grade friends!
ahhhh :)
Happy Sunday to all! Have a great week & stop by again real soon!! I better go get organized for a lot of assessing this week. icky icky! We can do it. We can do it!  :)

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on your first week! Mine starts next Tuesday.
    I'm your newest follower and also a new blogger. Hope you visit mine :)

    ❀Barbara❀
    Grade ONEderful

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I LOVE your blog & just listed you on my TOP TEN LIST! Go to http://bit.ly/rtHPbL to grab your award button!
    Christie :)
    First Grade Fever

    ReplyDelete